The interior of today’s Linnaeus Museum, a well-preserved
picture of Linnaeus’ home and workplace. Photo: Åke
Inaugurated in 1937
In 1918, the Society was granted access rights to Linnaeus’
home and garden with its orangery (a conservatory). This enabled the Society to
realise its plans to restore the garden and found a Linnaeus museum.
At the time, Linnaeus’ residence was home to Hugo Alfvén,
Director Musices of the University, so the museum project had
to wait until Alfvén retired, in 1934. Until then, the
garden orangery was a provisional Linnaeus Museum.
In 1934, renovation work could begin and the transfer of Linnaeus’
household effects to their original home. The renovation was funded
with, among other things, the proceeds of lotteries, by the town of Uppsala and the local coffee company ”Uppsala kaféaktiebolag”.
Construction work was carried out by the builders Anders Diös.
The restoration was carried out under the supervision of antiquarian
Erik Lundberg, while the custodian Sigurd Wallin and the museum
amanuensis Nils Sundquist were advisers on the restoration and
the museum installation.
The inauguration of the Linnaeus Museum on 30 May 1937 was ceremonious.
Representatives from the Royal family and a large number of other
invited guests of honour were invited and walked in procession from the
orangery to Linnaeus’ home, where Prince Eugen declared
the museum open. The museum opened for the general public the
The Swedish Linnaeus Society still has main responsibility for
the Linnaeus Museum. It is a state-owned listed building and is
managed by the National Property Board.
The history of the Society
The history of
the Linnaeus Garden
The history of
the Linnaeus Museum